The Federation of Canadian Municipalities‘ (FCM) Sustainable Communities Awards are open to municipal governments and their partners.
The 2016 call for applications deadline is Monday, June 15, 2015.
Submissions for Canadian municipal plans, programs or projects must demonstrate excellence in one of six award categories: brownfields, energy, neighbourhood development, transportation, waste or water; and applicants must demonstrate significant municipal involvement in the initiatives.
- Take a holistic, systems approach to sustainable community development;
- Demonstrate innovation, defined as the development of new knowledge, practices or advanced technologies; the application of current or emerging technologies or practices; or the adoption of an advanced technology, knowledge or practice in a region in which the technology has not been applied before;
- Demonstrate leadership in public engagement/communication and partnership, as these are key to long-term success· Integrate with existing municipal plans and policies;
- Offer lessons learned that are relevant to other communities undertaking similar initiatives;
- Demonstrate measurable environmental, social and economic results, or in the case of plans, anticipated measurable results (see the Background Application Form for details);
- Have been completed within two years of the date of application or be in the final stages of implementation.