On April 7, 2020 in New Mexico, Mayor Tim Keller and the City of Albuquerque Metropolitan Redevelopment Agency (MRA) issued a call for real estate developers and businesses to submit Expressions of Interest to redevelop 1.1 acres of the North Entrance of the 27-acre Rail Yards property.
“The Rail Yards redevelopment is the definition of a public-private partnership, pulling neighborhoods, government, developers, and local business together to reinvigorate a thriving, vibrant community in ways that celebrate our unique culture and history,” said Mayor Keller. “During this tough time, projects like these serve as a bolster for our local economy.”
The Albuquerque Rail Yards is located at 1100 2nd Street SW, between the Barelas and South Broadway neighborhoods.
“The City is committed to ensuring that the redevelopment of the Rail Yards emerges as a cultural and economic hub and a space for the community. In meetings over the last months with key stakeholders, developers and potential partners and tenants we’ve seen lots of excitement and positive feedback, and we anticipate a host of innovative and creative proposals for this RFEI,” said Karen Iverson, City of Albuquerque Metropolitan Redevelopment Agency Manger.
Developers or Business Entity responses should meet the following goals:
- Catalytic activation of the Rail Yards;
- The Project should drive additional people and economic activity to the Rail Yards creating a lively district;
- Contribute to the overall Rail Yards Master Plan goals;
- Create cohesive site synergy with existing uses and surrounding neighborhoods; and create tangible community benefit; and
- Support local, small, minority, women and disadvantaged business enterprises.
Revitalizing the Rail Yards into a vibrant mixed-use destination is part of Mayor Keller’s top priorities. Since taking office, City departments and contractors have been transforming the site in preparation for development.
Responses are due by July 10, 2020.
Photos courtesy of Albuquerque Metropolitan Redevelopment Agency.