The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) Green Municipal Fund is offering a free webinar titled “Ideas to move brownfield projects forward” on Thursday, March 24, 2016 from 12:00-1:30 EST.
Join the webinar to get practical ideas for bringing abandoned properties back into productive use. You’ll hear how three different municipalities discovered the right combination of plans, incentives and collaboration for redeveloping their brownfields. Each municipality won a 2016 FCM Sustainable Communities Award for their success in breathing new life into contaminated or derelict areas — projects that have also led to exciting economic opportunities.
Get the story behind how:
- The City of Edmonton, ON, consulted the local oil and gas industry to design grants that fund the clean-up of contaminated sites.
- The Region of Waterloo, ON, and a private developer transformed a former factory into modern office space, attracting companies like Google Canada.
- The Village of Marwayne, AB, turned a water and sewer infrastructure project into a development opportunity by remediating a site that now hosts community activities.
- How to structure and finance brownfield incentive programs.
- How to work more effectively with private companies to develop projects that attract investment.
- How small communities can remediate contaminated sites as part of other projects to improve their core infrastructure.
Photo courtesy Cherokee Investment Partners.