The City of Watertown, New York is the owner of a 9.5 acre parcel of vacant land known as 424 Van Duzee Street, Parcel Number 1-18-102.00. The City is seeking proposals from persons who will acquire and redevelop the property and put it back into productive use.
A number of structures were historically located on the property. It is believed that the site was first developed in the mid to late 1800’s by the Watertown Steam Engine Company. The company built several large factory and office buildings on the site. Other former owners of the property include the American Krupp Diesel Eng Co, Colonial Motor Coach Corp and Central Greyhound Lines, Inc.
The New York State Department of Transportation (NYS DOT) purchased the eastern portion of the property in 1930 from Alfred M. and Amelia B. Burdick and the western portion of the site in 1947 from Central Greyhound Lines, Inc. NYSDOT used the buildings and site as a maintenance facility. NYS DOT sold the property in 1986 to a private owner, 48 Howard St. Inc., who, along with subsequent owners, used the property for various uses. The City of Watertown took title to the property on September 25, 2015 for failure to pay back taxes. The remaining buildings on the property were subsequently destroyed in a fire in November of 2015.
Information about the property, submission requirements and proposal review criteria can be found in the Request for Proposals (RFP).
Proposals must be sent to Robert J. Cleaver, Purchasing Manager, 245 Washington Street, Suite 205, Watertown, NY 13601 and received no later than 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday, August 28, 2018.
Image via Google Maps.