Green Village Initiative (GVI), a non-profit organization based in Bridgeport, Connecticut, is seeking an Urban Farm Strategic Planning VISTA Volunteer for the 2015 – 2016 service year, beginning in August.
GVI’s VISTA member will help bring people out of poverty through providing services to low-income communities in Bridgeport.
GVI has an urban farm that produces food for Bridgeport school cafeterias and the local community, and is home to an education center. We have already begun considering a second urban farm and have explored options for sites. Creating the best strategy for launching a second urban farm site, will rely heavily on: community engagement; determining the best use of the farm (e.g. production vs. educational); identifying options for farm sustainability (e.g. researching customer market and creating a plan for development, production and usage, program development).
The Urban Farm VISTA will be part of a multi-site VISTA project sponsored by Green Village Initiative (GVI) that is addressing food security and economic issues. VISTAs serving with the GVI VISTA project will be provided with the following benefits:
- Co-working space with ambitious, emerging leaders in food justice, food security and economic issues
- Opportunities to learn from knowledgeable change-makers and professionals
- Option to rent living loft-space in Bridgeport at an affordable rate
- Education award upon successful completion of service
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
- Living allowance.
Apply by June 8.