Southwings seeks an Appalachia to Atlantic (A2A) Program Officer for its Asheville, North Carolina office. The position requires significant travel (up to 50% of the time) throughout neighboring states.
Founded in 1996, SouthWings is a non-profit conservation organization that provides a network of volunteer pilots to advocate for the restoration and protection of the ecosystems and biodiversity of the Southeast through flight. We have flown thousands of individuals and organizations to educate community leaders, policy-makers, and the media, and to collect scientific data on forests, watersheds, historic landmarks, and the globally significant ecosystems of the Southeast. SouthWings is headquartered in Asheville, North Carolina, with satellite offices in New Orleans, Louisiana and Annapolis, Maryland.
SouthWings operates throughout the 11 southeastern states and the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Its central offices are located in Asheville, NC, with satellite offices located in New Orleans, LA, and Annapolis, MD. The Appalachia to Atlantic (A2A) territory consists primarily of SouthWings’ original operational range. Extending from the Southern Appalachian Highlands and along the major river courses that link mountains to sea, this position requires extensive travel. Within this range exist many of SouthWings’ most-established partnerships, a vast spread of volunteer pilots, and some of our most committed and longstanding donors. Geographically and historically, the A2A region is the heart and core of SouthWings’ mission.
The A2A Program Officer will have significant involvement in program design in the region based on organizational goals, and will coordinate the achievement of those goals, including the following:
- Growth of SouthWings’ leadership role in its campaign themes;
- Maintain and grow its network of relationships and collaborative efforts;
- Increase initiated flights within campaign themes;
- Volunteer Recruitment;
- Fund Development
You’ll serve as a program spokesperson for the organization in the A2A region.
- Implement, coordinate, and monitor program work;
- Provide program recommendations to the Executive Director;
- Develop relationships and networks that support SouthWings’ proactive flight work;
- Interface between partner organization and Flight Coordinator;
- Provide program status reports to the Executive Director;
- Provide supporting information for grant requests and reports to the Executive Director,
- Assist strategic planning with the Executive Director and other staff;
- Provide content for social media outreach and website;
- Provide support to pilot recruitment process, and;
- Travel to meetings, conferences, and strategic gatherings throughout the A2A region.
- Minimum 2 years project management and/or outreach experience;
- Strong consensus-building skills;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working with diverse populations and multiple constituencies;
- Creative problem-solver, flexible and capable of adapting to changing priorities;
- Strategic thinker, capable of moving an organization to new levels;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently;
- Familiarity with new technological trends and applications; and
- Bachelor’s Degree.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- A demonstrated commitment to organizational excellence;
- Experience working with volunteers;
- Sensitivity and passion for the environment; and
- An interest in aviation.
Salary range: $34,000-$36,000 + health insurance and retirement benefits
Photo courtesy of Chris Irwin, United Mountain Defense