The Global Water Partnership (GWP) seeks a Chief Executive Officer/Executive Secretary for its headquarters office in Stockholm, Sweden.
The GWP Executive Secretary serves the Network and is the Chief Executive Officer of the GWP organisation (GWPO), an intergovernmental organisation, that operates as the Network’s Secretariat. The Executive Secretary reports to and is responsible to the Steering Committee for the activities of the Secretariat as per the Statutes of GWP.
GWP is a multi-stakeholder action network dedicated to working with countries towards the equitable, sustainable, and efficient management of their water resources. GWP comprises 3,000+ partner organisations in over 180 countries. Their network of 65+ Country Water Partnerships and 13 Regional Water Partnerships convenes, and brokers coordinated action by government and non-government actors, supported by a global secretariat, set up as an Inter-Governmental Organisation in Stockholm, Sweden. GWP mobilises action for water security through a unique combination of social capital, shared values, credibility within the local and global water community, bottom-up orientation, and expertise. A network of networks, they work to ensure the ‘voices of water’ can influence local, national, regional, and global development priorities. They are committed to their role as a neutral convener and respected for their focus on inclusiveness and sustainability.
The Executive Secretary builds and leads strategic initiatives and leads the secretariat’s team in the implementation of the GWP Strategy. Supported by a Deputy and COO, as well as by a management team, the Executive Secretary works to develop and strengthen the GWP Network, widening its membership and links with other organisations and institutions in non-water sectors. The Executive Secretary is responsible for overall fundraising at the global level, developing funding opportunities through building new strategic initiatives with key partners amongst bi-lateral and multilateral agencies and foundations.
GWP is looking for a senior-level leader and development practitioner with a proven track record of building and supporting broad change initiatives. Comfortable with “leading from behind”, the ideal candidate would have spent time in environments shaped by a spirit of partnership and what in GWP they call a “low ego approach” to getting things done. Having taken on progressively growing responsibilities in other organisations and networks, s/he would be at ease in negotiating and engaging at the highest organisational level as well as with on-the-ground activists and mobilisers. Emanating personal energy and commitment to the cause of sustainable development, s/he will have extensive people management experience as well as strong leadership credentials and a proven track record of success.
The ideal candidate should have a strong background in dealing with international organizations, top business leaders, civil society, local stakeholders and innovators globally in a high-profile environment, an ability to effectively communicate to a diverse audience, and a proven track record in catalysing large-scale change initiatives. S/he will have the ability to proactively develop and grow strategic relationships at the executive corporate level, with civil society, the entrepreneurial community and the philanthropic sector.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Leading the organisation in building on its new strategy and business plan and on a vision of growing impact and reach of the broader network.
- Managing and providing oversight of the global GWPO Secretariat work, building and sustaining a strong management team.
- Supporting the Network’s governance mechanisms, including the Network Meeting, the Sponsoring Partner Meeting, Steering Committee, and the Financial Partners Group, in close collaboration with the GWP Chair.
- Strengthening GWP’s space and reputation internationally and with key agencies and partners.
The ideal candidate will hold a Master’s degree and have relevant executive managerial experience, preferably with an international organisation involved with water, climate change, agriculture or the environment.
- Experienced, enthusiastic, committed and visionary leader with effective management skills to lead an organisation of talented and diverse professionals.
- Experience working closely with or reporting to an engaged Board of Directors or similar is preferred.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders in either public/private or international development institutions.
- Experience developing and implementing global fundraising strategies.
- Proven understanding of water related issues and water resource management.
- Ability to maximise political and technical profile of a large international organisation in a relevant sector (e.g. water, agriculture, climate change, environment, energy, development or other related area of expertise).
- Proven business acumen coupled with strong financial management skills to drive financial sustainability.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential; knowledge of another language, French, Spanish or other, is an advantage.
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contract Type: Three year contract with possibility of renewal
Apply By: May 15, 2020