The Turtle Island Restoration Network seeks a full-time Communications Manager for their office in the San Francisco Bay area of California.
Do you love the oceans and coast? Are you ready to put to work your passion for protecting sea turtles, whales, sharks, and salmon from extinction? Use your strong writing skills and social media experience to get people involved in the fight for our oceans!
Turtle Island Restoration Network (TIRN), an award-winning marine wildlife protection organization with offices in California, Texas and Hawai’i, seeks a full-time Communications Manager to join our fast-paced, innovative environmental organization and be a key part of a team raising more than $3 million annually.
Through our Ocean Wildlife Program initiatives and Salmon Protection and Watershed Network, we are leading the grassroots fight against extinction locally, nationally and internationally. We take on the big problems of the world’s oceans — industrial fishing, climate change, and pollution — with a can-do attitude.
The Communications Manager is a valuable member of Turtle Island Restoration Network’s (TIRN’s) hard-working team of scientists, lawyers, advocates, and communicators. The position will be located at the Olema, CA office in west Marin County and will be responsible for managing and executing a strategy for key traditional and social media communications and messaging, marketing collateral, and public relations engagement.
The Communications Manager will establish and carryout practices that will increase the organization’s visibility in the community and across the nation to strengthen development campaigns, programs and mission. This position will report to the Executive Director.
A key goal for the Communications Manager will be to work with the Development team to implement and test strategies using earned media, email, social media, website content, paid advertising, and other tools to increase engagement and size of our email list.
- Work with other team members to refine and test TIRN’s marine and coastal conservation messaging;
- Serve as the principal writer of all public facing communication material (website, social media, press releases, op eds, print and online publications and newsletters, marketing, and advertising);
- Implement and test marketing strategies and methods to drive people towards joining our email list;
- Design online and print communication and marketing/outreach materials (including working with outside designers and vendors) and manage communication assets including photographs, images, and videos;
- Support all staff, leadership, interns and members to serve as ambassadors and advocates of TIRN and the Environmental movement through trainings and participating in community-related activities;
- As needed, serve as media spokesperson with various press outlets; and
- Report monthly to Senior Management on milestones and evaluation of new methods.
Successful Candidate Will Have:
- A sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, donors and volunteers;
- A passion for saving wildlife and protecting oceans and coasts;
- Strong and fast writing and editing skills;
- Experience and obsession with using online tools to engage people;
- Pride in producing results and hitting goals;
- Minimum of three years of experience in communications/marketing, preferably in a community-based organization or environmental conservation organization; and
- A Bachelor’s degree is required. Major in English, Communications, Journalism or related field preferred.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- Sense of humor and calm under pressure;
- Drive to constantly learn and gather more skills and knowledge;
- Experience or proven ability to use graphic design software (Adobe Creative Cloud, Canva, etc.);
- Experience developing and implementing communication strategies;
- A proven track record in social media strategy and management preferred;
- Experience with WordPress, social media, email marketing tools (e.g. Engaging Networks), media monitoring tools (e.g. Meltwater), web analytics tools and software, search engine optimization techniques, all preferred.
This is a full-time, exempt position. We offer a competitive benefits package including two weeks of vacation, health insurance, and 15 paid holidays. Salary is commensurate with experience and comparable to other similar-sized nonprofit organizations.
Photo via Adobe Stock.