NeighborWorks Affiliates seeks an Economic Development Director to help revitalize Philadelphia, Pennsylvania neighborhoods.
The innovative, community-based work that we do has many stakeholders – residents, businesses, partners, funders, media—and a lot of moving pieces—programs, resources, politics– and you would be the one to make sure economic initiatives are moving these pieces in a direction that builds community wealth and supports equitable economic revitalization.
One day you’re placemaking and the next day you’re negotiating corridor services for the community. You are part strategist, part community organizer, part advocate for equitable economic growth. A big part of your job will be managing department resources to improve the community’s economic conditions, neighborhood redevelopment efforts, planning, and business attraction. You will be making sure your team has a creative, happy and productive workplace culture, developing partners, increasing financial resources, ensuring multiple programs work as one, and making sure your departmental communications functions at a high level of effectiveness and efficiency. You’re probably the ideal person for this position if you:
- Are a planner or community organizer at heart and love strategy to deliver the mission
- Believe no community is sustainable unless there’s economic opportunity and equality
- Can move quickly to tap new opportunities, develop partnerships, and reroute programs when changes in environment occur without upsetting the apple cart
- Can mediate various personal and community politics before they erupt and turn them into positive interactions
- You are a quick study on various topics and you make things work when there is no answer
- Are discerning and strategic, self-motivated, and eat ambitious deadlines for lunch.
- Have an eye for language and tone for resource development (including grant writing & fundraising)
Reports to: Deputy Director
Supervises: 2 Commercial Corridor Coordinators; 2 Commercial Corridor Stewards
Start date: June 13, 2016
Compensation: Competitive salary with excellent benefits including HMO health plan, long- and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid vacation and 403 (b) retirement plan.
Philadelphia photo by Storm Cunningham.