In Detroit, Michigan, Detroit Future City (DFC) is a non-profit planning and advocacy agency serving the city.
We are a “think and do tank” advancing the concepts of the Detroit Future City Strategic Framework through research, policy development and pilot program implementation. We are seeking an extraordinary candidate to lead our Community and Economic Development Department.
The CED Director will design new tools, programs and products to advance the community development industry in Detroit and convene initiatives to solve systemic community development challenges. Current initiatives include convening a city-wide cross-sector collaborative to improve single-family housing conditions in Detroit, exploring innovative approaches to adaptive building reuse and industrial district revitalization, and supporting equitable development in city neighborhoods.
The CED Director will be part of the Senior Leadership Team of DFC and will help set strategic direction for the organization. The CED Director will work closely with leaders from the City of Detroit, philanthropy, community development partners, financial institutions, real estate developers and others and will represent DFC in meetings and coalitions related to community and economic development.
- Provide leadership on all programs and initiatives related to community and economic development (CED);
- Develop and design innovative approaches to advance the community development industry in Detroit;
- Work with DFC Management to integrate CED objectives into DFC’s overall strategic plan;
- Manage the Detroit Neighborhood Housing Compact, a cross-sector collaboration focused on single-family housing in Detroit neighborhoods;
- Lead neighborhood planning projects, with an emphasis on industrial district redevelopment and adaptive building reuse;
- Contribute to other DFC initiatives focused on land use, sustainability and general research from a CED perspective;
- Maintain relationships with external stakeholders in conjunction with CED programs including elected officials, government agencies, funders, non-profit organizations and community members;
- Represent DFC in meetings, coalitions and conferences related to CED initiatives;
- Support fundraising efforts for CED initiatives;
- Manage budgets and maintain accurate records for CED initiatives; and
- Supervise staff and manage consultants assigned to CED projects.
Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience in Community and Economic Development, Housing Policy or related fields
Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Community Development, Public Policy or related fields.
Ideal candidate will have the following experience, skills and qualities:
- Broad knowledge of community and economic development strategies, practices, programs and resources;
- Deep knowledge in one or more of these subject areas: single-family housing, industrial redevelopment, adaptive building reuse, real estate development, community development finance, and workforce development.;
- Innovative and creative thinker, able to provide thought leadership in the field of community and economic development;
- Knowledge of single-family housing issues and programs;
- Knowledge of Detroit’s community and economic development ecosystem;
- Experience designing, leading and managing successful programs;
- Experience managing collaborative decision-making processes with diverse participants;
- Experience with public speaking, community engagement processes and meeting facilitation;
- Experience managing staff;
- Experience administering consultant contracts;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Well organized and detail conscious; excellent project management skills;
- Able to work independently and handle multiple responsibilities with minimal supervision;
- Team player able to work effectively with diverse colleagues;
- Passionate about Detroit and the mission of Detroit Future City;
- Committed to principles of equitable neighborhood development; and
- Previous experience working with non-profit organizations is desired but not required.
Hours: Full time, including occasional evening and weekend obligations
Travel: Occasional travel outside metropolitan Detroit
Compensation & Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with education and experience. Medical, dental, vision, life/AD&D insurance plans, and long-term disability. 401k Savings Plan with employer match. Generous PTO and holiday allowance.
To Apply: Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the email subject title “Director of Community and Economic Development” by June 15, 2019.
Photo of revitalized residential neighborhood in old Detroit warehouse district by Storm Cunningham.