The Presidio Trust‘s Conservation, Stewardship & Research Program seeks an Ecological Restoration Intern with an emphasis on vegetation inventorying and monitoring. The Presidio Trust is a Federal government corporation that manages and protects the Presidio of San Francisco, California as part of the National Park System.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports weekly volunteer programs and service projects for youth and adult groups;
- Implements key components of restoration action plans including invasive plant control and native plant community revegetation;
- Manages a Presidio stewardship site and maintains program tools, facilities, and equipment;
- Conducts adaptive management and monitoring activities for plant and/or wildlife species and/or water habitats;
- Assists in educating volunteers on the concepts of ecological restoration, biodiversity, invasive species, and conservation biology;
- Provides general administrative support and conducts other duties as assigned;
- Participates in Presidio Trust public events and programs.
- Knowledge of, and a desire to learn about natural history and ecology;
- Proclivity for land stewardship and an enthusiasm for rigorous outdoors work in all types of site and weather conditions;
- Good organizational skills and independent time management;
- Enthusiasm for engaging with the community, including volunteers, community groups, middle and high school students;
- Enjoy working with a diverse community of people of all ages;
- Ability to work with a professional demeanor as part of a team;
- Positive attitude;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Must be a US Citizen;
- Must be at least 21 years old;
- Must possess a valid State driver’s license.
Stipend: $300 every two weeks.
Free Housing: This internship provides a unique opportunity for interns to live and serve in a distinctive national park site in San Francisco while gaining real world work experience and extensive training in the field of Ecological Restoration. Interns receive free housing and a stipend to cover living expenses. Living in the Presidio is a requirement of the internship.
Transportation Benefit: $50 monthly parking permits for car owners or $50/month for non-car owners.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Start Date: January 2016
Length of Position: 10-12 month commitment
Schedule: 40 hours per week, Tuesday – Saturday or a Sunday – Thursday schedule with flexibility including occasional holidays and evenings