Urban Solutions seeks an Executive Director for its headquarters in San Francisco, California. The Executive Director is responsible for leading the overall direction and implementation of Urban Solutions’ programs and services. In addition, the Executive Director manages the staff, and works in close collaboration with the Board on matters regarding strategy, governance and fundraising. S/he possesses in-depth knowledge in the field of economic development, non-profit operations, fundraising, marketing and programmatic strategy, and ensures the execution of the organization’s mission. At this exciting stage of Urban Solutions’ development, the Executive Director will work to evaluate and improve the organization’s strategic plan in light of current local conditions and a long-term vision for organizational sustainability.
Our vision is to create vibrant, diverse and sustainable San Francisco neighborhoods. The mission of Urban Solutions is to strengthen underserved neighborhoods in San Francisco by supporting small businesses, job creation, diversity and sustainability. Our annual budget is approximately $950,000. From our offices in the South of Market and the Western Addition, Urban Solutions offers a comprehensive range of economic development services.
- Strategic Vision & Leadership Collaborate with the Board to refine and implement the strategic plan while ensuring that the budget, staff and priorities are aligned with the organization’s core mission. Provide inspirational leadership and direction to all staff, and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization; establish effective decision-making processes that will enable the organization to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives. Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic and impact performance against stated milestones and goals. Report regularly to the Board, ensuring they have all necessary information to meet their governance responsibilities and that Board committees have the information they need to fulfill their objectives. Work with Board to develop an engaged, diverse, and energized Board, assisting in the recruitment, orientation, and training of new directors and other aspects of Board development.
- Fundraising, Marketing & Public Relations Working with development staff, formulate and execute comprehensive marketing, branding and development strategies that will ensure consistency throughout the organization and enhance revenue from major donors, foundations, government agencies and corporations. Actively seek new revenue sources and support existing sources by engaging the Board in fundraising and developing and submitting proposals for government and private donors. Increase Urban Solutions’ visibility through various media and serve as chief spokesperson representing the organization in the community and with the media. Maintain positive relations with government officials, community organizations, and businesses that can advance Urban Solutions’ mission and vision. Monitor contract compliance and grant objectives, and ensure timely reporting to funders.
- Program Management & Operational Oversight Oversee implementation of programs, services and activities that support the organization’s mission and principles. Oversee completion and submission of monthly program reports and preparation of annual analysis of achievements. Program Development: Work with staff, Board of Directors, and the community to continue to create an innovative and balanced spectrum of services and programs that serve the mission of Urban Solutions.
- Financial Management & Legal Compliance Oversee the fiscal management of the organization with the support of the Board Treasurer and the bookkeeper, including the forecasting and maintenance of budgets, accounting reports and data, and cost reports. Supervise the preparation of payroll for the organization’s staff as well as tax and related forms associated with the hiring of independent contractors (1099 forms etc.). Responsible for the annual audit and all tax filing (990 and related forms). Ensure that the organization complies with all regulations and all legal and contractual obligations.
- Staff Management & Human Resources Manage staff and oversee the human resource function, including: Recruitment, hiring and compensation, benefits administration, professional training and development, annual reviews, and retention strategies. Ensure that personnel management is in accord with written policy.
Start date: March 31, 2016
Photo credit: Dollar Photo Club