Georgetown Heritage is a new 501(c)3 organization dedicated to bringing the history of Georgetown to life through the restoration, interpretation, and activation of National Park Service sites in Georgetown (a neighborhood of Washington, DC) – with an initial focus on the C&O Canal.
It is an official National Park Friends Group working on the Georgetown sections of the C&O Canal and Rock Creek Park (including Key, Meigs, and Georgetown Waterfront Parks).
Georgetown Heritage was founded by the Georgetown Business Improvement District (GBID) and local residents.
The Georgetown BID is a major sponsor and donates office space, administrative support, and the salary of the Executive Director.
Georgetown Heritage seeks an exceptional leader to spearhead an ambitious plan to revitalize and interpret the Georgetown section of the C&O Canal and other Georgetown historic sites. The tasks for the first 12 to 18 months include launching and completing a major capital campaign; leading a master planning effort; overseeing the construction of a new canal boat; and creating the plan for a hands-on interpretive center and education program.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Driving all aspects of GH’s major donor multi-year fundraising, grant writing & donor recognition;
- Leading Canal Master Planning process;
- Being Georgetown Heritage’s face to the community;
- Establishing and nurturing key collaborations with local and federal partners;
- Driving the development of innovative interpretive programming;
- Capitalizing on education outreach opportunities with DC, and regional public and private schools;
- Developing and executing a long-term strategic plan for Georgetown Heritage.
Experience and Qualifications 10 years of experience in related fields, with:
- Entrepreneurial success and management experience;
- Demonstrated success at donor cultivation and fundraising;
- Capacity to work within both the private and public sectors (NPS experience a plus) Passion for education and place-making;
- Familiarity with DC and/or federal elected officials and agencie;
- PR, marketing and branding experience;
- Ease in public speaking and operating in the public eye;
- Experience in urban planning and real estate development a plus;
- Experience in education related field a plus;
- Collaborative working style and demonstrated success in managing teams;
- Bachelors degree required, masters or graduate degree preferred.
Salary and benefits are competitive, and commensurate with prior experience.
[Photo of “C&O Canal – Georgetown” by AgnosticPreachersKid]