Honko is looking for a Project Coordinator to help coordinate Honko’s multiple ongoing projects, supervise Honko’s 6 local staff, assist with volunteer management, and on occasion supervise visiting local and international students’ research. You will work alongside the on-site Project Manager and report to Honko’s off-site director. The position is based at Honko’s centre in the village of Ambondrolava, 12km north of the regional capital Tulear in SW Madagascar.
Founded in 2008, Honko Mangrove Conservation & Education is a Belgian NGO that works in southwest Madagascar, one of the poorest regions of the world. Honko’s goal is to work in partnership with local communities to promote mangrove conservation and improve community resilience and quality of live through the promotion of alternative livelihoods.
Furthermore, Honko has established an information centre and boardwalk through the mangroves for ecotourism, and also supported the establishment of the local community-based association devoted to mangrove management and continues to work alongside their association to build their capacity to take complete ownership over sustainable management and restoration activities.
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, marine biology, forestry, natural heritage and coastal landscapes management, environmental studies, agronomy, development cooperation, or related subject
• Project and financial management experience in community development, sustainable development, or conservation
• Experience in fund raising and financial reporting
• Experience working in a multi-cultural or international setting, especially in the field of conservation or in a developing country
• Field research experience in forest, marine and/or freshwater ecology, particularly supervision of student projects
• Proficiency in French and English
We will consider and interview applicants as we receive applications and fill the position with the first qualified applicant. Please mention in your cover letter where you found this listing.