In the Bronx borough of New York City, Wave Hill is seeking an experienced educator to facilitate and co-teach Restoration of New York City’s Natural Areas, a college level ecology course offered to students in the Woodland Ecology Research Mentorship (WERM) and Forest Project internship programs during the summer.
Both programs offer New York City youth unique opportunities to learn about and perform ecological restoration in Wave Hill’s eight-acre woodlands.
Under the direction of the Senior Manager of Youth Programs and Woodland Initiatives, and working closely with the lead instructor for the course, the Educator will ensure that the course runs smoothly and is effectively incorporated into the rest of the program. The Educator will work with the education team to develop and lead other related projects as necessary, and will be a part of the Youth Programs management team assisting in the supervision of staff and interns.
Specific duties include:
- Work with lead restoration-course instructor to fine-tune course curriculum, materials and assignments.
- Assist lead course instructor with all aspects of facilitating the course, including co-teaching, preparing lessons, leading in-class activities, evaluating students and conducting general course administration.
- Serve as point-person for coordinating students’ summer-long final projects, which incorporate field-data collection and analysis with concepts learned in class.
- Hold weekly check-in meetings with Forest Project and WERM Crew Leaders to prepare them to support their students in all aspects of the course.
- Assist Senior Manager of Youth Programs with program administration and staff supervision.
- An undergraduate degree with significant coursework and/or experience in ecology, biology, environmental science or a related field.
- Familiarity with ecological restoration and natural areas in and around New York City.
- Experience developing curricular materials and teaching.
- Enthusiastic, organized, possesses strong interpersonal skills and is flexible in handling different situations.
This is a part-time, seasonal position with a flexible start-date in May, 2019, and running through the end of August, 2019. The hourly rate is $16.50, and the hours are 15 to 25 per week in May and 35 hours per week in June through August.
Please use this form to submit your cover letter and resume: https://forestproject.wufoo.com/forms/restoration-and-ecology-educator/.
Photo of Central Park in New York City via Adobe Stock.