Initially a grassroots effort founded by famed entertainer Bette Midler to clean up neglected parks, New York Restoration Project (NYRP) has evolved into New York City’s only citywide conservancy, bringing private resources to spaces that lack adequate municipal support, fortifying NYC’s aging infrastructure and creating a healthier environment for those who live in the most densely populated and least green neighborhoods. NYRP has demonstrated through its successful outcomes that the organization’s work has a major impact in creating safer, healthier communities.
NYRP has set the standard for citywide greening efforts, partnering with local communities, public agencies, and the private sector to acquire, create, maintain, and program public open spaces. NYRP aspires to expand its footprint and impact in all five boroughs. For more information about NYRP’s efforts to create safe, healthy, and green open spaces throughout NYC, please click here.
The CEO will be an entrepreneurial, dynamic, energetic, visionary leader who will have the unique opportunity to work with a passionate and engaged Founder, Trustees, staff and volunteers to articulate a clear strategy and blueprint for the future and build upon NYRP’s 25-year history of success.
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the CEO will lead and inspire a talented team of staff and volunteers to ensure that the resources and infrastructure are in place to ensure a robust and impactful future for NYRP.
NYRP has a current annual operating budget of approximately $7.5 million, largely generated though unrestricted philanthropic support from individuals (including the Board of Trustees), foundations, corporations, special events, and the City of New York.
IDEAL CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Passion for parks and other green spaces and the role they play in creating and enhancing communities;
- A charismatic, enthusiastic, collaborative leader able to create excitement and energy around NYRP’s mission;
- Significant history of successful leadership in the not-for-profit, public, or private sectors;
- Track record of success elevating the profile and impact of an organization; marketing/branding expertise;
- Experience developing and working collaboratively with a board of trustees;
- Strategic planning; able to both see the big picture and to manage day-to-day operations;
- A consummate relationship builder at all levels; with staff, board, funders, community partners, city and state government and other not-for-profit organizations;
- Successful front-line major gift fundraiser; experience securing private and public support;
- Government relations: able to partner effectively with city and state government;
- Financial savvy: ability to maximize and align resources with organizational priorities;
- Data-driven: commitment to measuring impact and outcomes and progress toward goals and objectives;
- A connector and networker; knowledgeable about NYC’s civic, cultural, government, philanthropic, and corporate communities;
- Engaging, charismatic communicator. Able to serve as an ambassador for NYRP and to articulate the mission clearly and persuasively;
- High-energy and “can do” approach;
- Unquestionable integrity and strong personal ethics;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Ability and willingness to participate in evening and weekend events and activities; and
- Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is desirable.
Please include a letter of interest with your resume.
Photo of Bette Midler courtesy of NYRP.