In Everett, Washington, the Downtown Everett Association (DEA) seeks an Executive Director.
The DEA is committed to advancing and growing Downtown Everett as a vibrant economic, cultural, and governmental center through leadership, advocacy, and the ongoing administration of a business improvement area (BIA). In addition, we manage a 500-stall parking garage for the City of Everett. As part of our increasingly proactive revitalization efforts, we are seeking accreditation as a Washington Main Street Community. Our five volunteer committees work to foster entrepreneurship, improve parking and access, monitor economic trends, conduct new events, beautify the look and feel of downtown, diversify our revenue stream, and to promote Downtown Everett as a great place to visit, shop, work, and live.
We are seeking an individual with 5 or more years of relevant leadership experience with a focus on growth, managing a complex organizational structure, budgets of $1 million+ and supporting a diversified staff team.
S/he will have prior experience with economic & entrepreneurial development, marketing strategy, and either sales or fundraising. Grant experience will also be a valuable skill for this role. Demonstrated success at working in partnership with an independent Board of Directors to achieve goals is another important criteria as well as a proven track record of effectively working with municipalities and other partners to develop and expand successful public-private-NP partnerships.
S/he must understand the issues confronting Everett’s downtown business operators, property owners, public agencies, and community organizations; as a result s/he will be entrepreneurial, energetic, innovative, organized, and a champion for a vibrant downtown business climate.
As the leader of this organization, the Executive Director must have an aptitude for time management, prioritization of duties, and delegating to appropriate staff with the ability to give clear feedback. A successful candidate will possess the ability to facilitate crucial conversations and make tough decisions. S/he will have experience effectively hiring, supporting, and managing staff and providing opportunities to foster professional development and growth.
Strong candidates will have the ability to efficiently review, analyze, and present business and financial information to help the organization make crucial decisions.
The position will be located in downtown Everett, Washington. Please submit a resume and cover letter only; there is no application or questionnaire. Telephone interviews will be held the week of January 27th. In-person interviews will be conducted the week of February 3rd.
• Become familiar with existing programs, projects and initiatives including the organization’s public/private contracts, business improvement areas, and Main Street America®. Understand how they relate and contribute to economic and small business development in downtown Everett.
• Build brand awareness to evaluate, implement and support marketing strategies, provide guidance to marketing/communications staff, and communicate plans to those involved.
• Partner with the Board of Directors to define and articulate the agency’s vision then develop and implement a strategic plan. Recommend, adopt and implement procedures and programs to support, achieve and grow organizational benchmarks and goals.
• Create a fundraising strategy that aligns with the organization’s short- and long-term goals, and partner with the board of directors to implement that strategy. With support of staff, steward relationships with existing funders and partners, including government agencies, association members, and donors.
• Guide staff through budget development and approve annual budget. Adjust and control expenditures. Take advantage of opportunities to optimize spending and/or increase revenue in order to achieve financial targets.
• Set performance expectations then monitor and appraise job results in order to develop, coach and recognize staff. Provide ongoing feedback and guidance to staff on overall performance and develop plans for performance improvement when needed.
• Support the board in recruiting local corporate, business and philanthropic leaders to accomplish the action plans for mission delivery and fundraising.
• Communicate efficiently, serving as a link between Board Members, staff, volunteers, and the community at-large on a regular basis.
• Foster an organizational culture that creates and sustains a productive and motivating climate for staff, Board Members, volunteers, and other key stakeholders.
• Work collaboratively on grant proposals to provide clear work plans that align with long-term vision and goals.
• Ensure that programs and services are operated in compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations.
Education and Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree or 5 years equivalent professional training, advanced degree preferred
• 5+ years of leadership and team building experience with 3+ years in senior management
• 3+ years of experience in organizational development and financial management
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including public speaking
• Training and/or experience in community development and strategic planning
• Strong computer skills including experience using MS Office products
• Ability and willingness to travel occasionally in the US (less than 5%)
Preferred (but not required) Experience:
• Proven fundraising results with knowledge and experience in nonprofit donor management and development
• Experience working with a Board of Directors
• Knowledgeable and experienced in volunteer management
• Familiar with Everett, WA through experience working and/or volunteering locally
• Experience working in both for-profit and non-profit sectors
• Retailing and/or small business development
• Historic preservation
• Urban planning and design
• Public relations
• Business or public administration
• Asset management including data security management
• Information technology
Start Date: February 18, 2020
Application Deadline: January 20, 2020
Salary: $80,000 – $90,000
Vacation and total benefits package to be negotiated.
Apply To: email@example.com
Photo courtesy of DEA.